Reading various interviews that Corden has given over the past few weeks, months and even years, it’s clear that there’s a bit of mystery surrounding his birthday – and for that matter, birth year.
As any good actor can, Corden is able to play a range of ages in his professional life. But how old is he really? Here’s what we’ve been able to piece together:
- A recent update to Corden’s Wikipedia page reveals that he was born August 17, 1978. Wikipedia reveals the sources as a XFM London interview on 3/22. But, with no transcript, we’re unable to verify the exact context.
- During his recent Lily Allen and Friends appearance, his intro indicated he was born in 1980 (until recently, Wikipedia confirmed this information).
- An interview in The Telegraph lists his age as 27, which would likely put him in the 1980 category.
- Another profile piece in The Guardian calls him 29 – consistent with 1978.
- In an older interview with My Park magazine, Corden talks about getting a part in Twenty Four Seven (film) after his first real job which he was cast at 16 or 17. Twenty Four Seven released in 1998, so that puts us probably closer to 1980, but not out of the running for 1978.
- Another, even older, interview from 2002 lists his age as 24. That makes his birth year 1978.
Our overall feeling is that 1978 seems to be the leading candidate – which makes Corden 29. It seems when James himself talks about his age, that’s the year that makes the most sense. If other reporters relied on Wikipedia for their information, they could have been thrown off by the erroneous 1980 – thus perpetuating the myth.
What’s more, the new Wikipedia update with the full birthday information just seems more credible.
Anyone out there know more definitively? Let us know.