Horne & Corden: Critical + Audience Reactions

Horne and Corden

The initial reactions are in to the premiere episode of Horne & Corden, the new sketch comedy show starring James Corden and Mat Horne.

While critics continue to skewer the series (I’ve yet to read a positive critical reception), the audience figures from last night show strong support.

Horne & Corden attracted 817k viewers, making it the “highest-rated first episode ever of a comedy on BBC3.”

As noted, critical reception remains harsh, with reveiwers from The Guardian and On The Box giving it low marks.

While the comedy is indeed low-brow (fat jokes and nakedness abound), like many sketch shows I found it hit-and-miss. There were some very dull sketches and some genuinely hilarious ones as well. I at least spent the half-hour entertained.

I found the relay-race, Johnny and Lee Miller, Superman/Spiderman, cock-drawing lessons and Corden’s pending orgasm some of the top sketches. Corden’s Ricky Gervais impression might have been the highlight of the show.

Horne’s Tim Goodall didn’t impress me. Nor did Corden’s Xander. Nor did the intro, other than the Lily Allen gag.

And there were certainly other more forgettable sketches, such as the burger stand, the generals and mobile phones and the grocery store push-sequence (though I did find the unexpectedness a laugh-out-loud moment).

Is Horne & Corden my new favorite show? No. Will I keep watching? Yes.

You can too, with behind-the-scenes clips, features and full-length epidoes (via BBC iPlayer) at the official BBC site, bbc.co.uk/horneandcorden

Post a Comment or Leave a Trackback | Tags: , ,

7 Comments

1. boris
    March 11, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

To be fair, the show was rather poor.

2. Stu Richardson
    March 12, 2009 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Uh – oh. Just saw that OntheBox website has uploaded a review of Lesbian Vampire Killers.

I’m hoping it’s just gonna be fun silliness, but it doesn’t look good…..

3. David
    March 12, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

What a load of pants. Loved Corden in everything else he’s done but he is sadly deluded if he thinks this is the ‘gayest’ show ever in a good way. It is gay in terms of the most homophobic show ever. Laughs at gay peoples expense, just stupid sterotypes bringing everything back to sex. He claims little Britain is very homophobic compared to his show. Seems to me that even he is embarassed by their output. Straight boy deluding himself that he is taking an affectionate swipe at gay people. He needs to grow up.

4. alain
    March 16, 2009 at 7:37 am | Permalink

I think the show was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    james is hot as always!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only sketch I dint like was the cock drawing lesson

5. Freyja
    March 25, 2009 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Absoultely loving this show! Takes me ages to get into a new sketch show usually but this shows all the makings of an absolute classic that will keep getting better! Brilliant, well done and thanks for the laugh out loud entertainment x

6. freqeist1
    September 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

james corden is a poor Ricky Gervais tribute act.

7. Jon
    September 29, 2009 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I thought the Gervais impression was one of the best bits. Especially the Karate Kid one in the first show.

One Trackback

1. […] fair drop from the premiere record of over 817,000. Yet rumors are it is enough for a second […]